Thursday, June 28, 2007

Jackson, Part 2

I almost had to stop in the middle of a yoga class this evening because I felt myself get so angry I wanted to just weep. I'm so angry at the State for its brutality. What the hell will killing a 63-year-old man with organic brain disease do for anyone? To hear a prison official tell the family "I'm sorry for your loss" was crazy - as if John had died of natural causes. And to see the four sons ask prison guards for permission to check in with the hearse driver, that they'd hired, before the hearse left the prison grounds with John's body was especially disturbing.

It's shameful. It's unbelievably brutal. The death penalty lessens us all; we become monsters. Death at the hands of State serves nothing- whether its bombs, starvation, or execution chambers. It makes me want to throw up.

No comments: