Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Mona Lisa

[part 3 in a series of pieces inspired by my dreams]

The Mona Lisa
dreamed October 15, 2006


7" x 5" paper, acrylic, glitter and resin on canvas

I dreamed that I was walking by myself down a cobblestone street in Clonmel at night. I peer into the window of an empty grocery store with a big candy display. I walk further and see a dark window framed by burgundy velvet curtains. I look closer and see that the Mona Lisa is set up on a stand just inside the window. I smile at what a cliche the great painting seems in such a demure setting.

I hear a heartbeat and look anxiously around me. I am still alone. I look back at the Mona Lisa and she has started to glow. I press my forehead against the windowpane. Her face changes into a skull, the skin on her fingers peel back and show bones. At the center of the subtly smiling skeleton is a beating heart, straining to escape its ribcage.


Read/see the other dreams in this series, The Angel Singers Visit Me and The Feather and the Butterflies.

2 comments:

Reem Tara said...

WHAT?!?!?! This is the greatest dream ever! And omg, I love love LOVE that you had it on your birthday! Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!

Sara Ashes said...

my 30th birthday no less!