Friday, September 26, 2008

Potato and Leek Soup

This is one of my very favorite soups. I often make this soup on a Monday night and eat off of it for the week- it gets better each day. Though I made it tonight with the Baked Zucchini, I often like to eat this with ceasar salad and a big hunk of sourdough bread.

I've been making this recipe for years and I feel like the addition of the Herbes de Provence is what perfected it. Whenever I make creamy type soups I always use fat-free evaporated milk raher than cream or even regular milk. There's something about the texture of evaporated milk that adds a depth and creaminess- and without all that fat - that compliments the blended potatoes so well.

3 large or 4-5 medium potatoes
2 large or 3 medium leeks
2 tablespoons margarine
4-6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
Salt
1-2 Tablespoons Herbes de Provence
Pepper
1 can of evaporated milk

Clean the leeks well, dice them up and toss them in a stockpot with the margarine. Cook them down for about 8-10 minutes. Scrub and dice the potatoes - I leave the skins on for the nutrients and it becomes really soft anyway.



Add the potatoes to the pot and add enough veggie or chicken stock to cover them completely. Add salt. Cook for about 20 minutes then remove from heat.



Ladle two-thirds of the broth and veggies into a blender or food processor and blend well, then add back to the pot (you may have to do this in a couple steps). Add the can of milk, sprinkle the herbes de provence over the top and salt and pepper to taste.



Stir well and reheat slowly. Allow to cook on very low heat for another 15 minutes and serve.


2 comments:

Reem Tara said...

Oh god, that picture. That looks so effing amazing! Remember when Sarah and I "gave you a ride" to Atlanta and the next day you real quick whipped up potato leek soup with grilled cheese? And this after saying you had no groceries in the house. Amazin!

Sara Ashes said...

that is so funny about the soup- i don't remember that at all. y'all can "give me a ride" anytime!