Thursday, September 18, 2008

San Francisco in September #1: Sea Lions make me use too many exclamation marks!!



I know its like the most touristy thing ever to go to Fisherman's Wharf to see the Sea Lions when you come to San Francisco, but it still of my favorite things to do. I love these massive beasts SO much.

The Sea Lions of Pier 39 started coming in 1989 (ironically the year of my my first ever visit to San Francisco) after the earthquake that year. I thought they had always been there, but I suppose "always" is relative.

They are SO funny. They have territorial fights on each of the platforms. One guy will try to jump up on one and the guy who is already there will shove him off with his flippers and giant neck and ultimately there will be a huge splash! And they bark like crazy! They never shut up! I took a movie of them that i will post when i get back, you will laugh. The boys can grow to be 850 pounds! And they grow this weird lump on their forehead- the bigger it is the more dominant they are. Oh my god, I love them so much...

(better pictures will be posted when I get back- I forgot my camera cord so I can only post pics taken with the cell phone.)

1 comment:

Reem Tara said...

YAY!!!!! More exclamation marks!

ANd more sea lions. I love them SO MUCH.