Friday, June 13, 2008

Finally, Magnolias

Oakland Cemetery, one of my favorite places in Atlanta, has been closed since it was hit so hard by the March tornado. The tornado essentially touched down in the center of the cemetery and the damage was vast. The AJC has an incredible slideshow of what happened there.

I just read in the AJC that our beloved place has reopened. David Moore, executive director of the Historic Oakland Foundation says, "We've moved beyond just trying to heal" from the tornado.

I am so happy to hear this news. This is the first year since I've been in the south that I haven't closely examined the center of one of our giant magnolias, staring, trying to figure out this crazy, dinosaur-like blossom. I have missed so much walking through the cemetery, particularly during the springtime when the all the trees are bearing pink and white flowers.

I know from driving by the cemetery, that there are still blooms left to see. I'm so grateful that I won't have missed it all.

No comments: