Thursday, September 13, 2007

La Shana Tovah: for a good year

I've been told many times that I make a good Jew- I swear it's true! Having grown up on the north side of Chicago I know the holiday songs better than some my Jewish friends. Not to mention that after going to 20+ bar and bat mitzvahs, I can baruch-atah-adonai with the best of 'em.

In true good Jew fashion, tonight I made Rosh Hashanah dinner for my favorite Jew, Ms. Twinkle. We dined on matzo ball soup and dipped apples in honey to bring in sweetness with the New Year. We hung in the craft room, drank red wine bearing a black cat and burned mixes for the monthly CD Club. Twink crafted a cute altered t-shirt from the Generation T book

The best part of the New Year festivities though was my first-ever attempt at kugel. Farfel kugel, not noodle. I'd never used farfel before- its pretty much crumbled nuggets of matzah. I substituted cranberries for the more traditional raisins and the results were delicious- and it wasn't hard at all to make. The only problem is that I don't know that it will last till tomorrow night's continuation of the New Year celebration- I have to keep talking myself out of ducking into the kitchen and cutting another "sliver".

Cranberry Farfel Kugel

  • 2 cups farfel
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 9x9 inch baking dish.
  2. Soak farfel in water 10 minutes. Drain.
  3. Add beaten eggs into the bowl of farfel, and let stand 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in cranberries, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
  5. Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you!!! I aspire to be as good a Jew. That Kugel really was what sweet years are made of. And you are the best freakin' helper cat ever - way to make those CD's happen, and keep this slacker on her toes. You are the best <3